Friday 15 January 2010

I'm not the only one...

...who was inspired by the Lanvin dress with a twist on the shoulder. I think. This one (I LOVE it):























I made a dress for christmas that was much inspired by it (but not as elaborate, one step at a time...).

Roberto Rodriguez made a top that looks like it's related to both my dress and to the Lanvin dress for his fall 09-line. I found it when reading Project Rungay (I love the name of that blog, it's hilarious, esp. since it's run by two gay men from what I gather) about a recent spread in Elle Canada with a "normal"-size model. Or plus-size, or whatever. She's neither skinny nor fat, and she's absolutely beautiful. So is the spread.
I hope in the future models of her kind will be a more common sight in fashion magazines (but I also want to see thin models). Check it out here.






















This is the Roberto Rodriguez top, I think the picture is from the original presentation of the collection (I knicked the picture from Project Rungay).






















And here it is in the Elle spread. I like this picture so much more than the "original" one above... but I guess that's part of the point with fashion-spreads, to fill the pictures with magic rather than to simply show the clothes, and I do like magic...

Makes me think of trying my pattern in a more silky kind of fabric, maybe as a top, in powder or pink... (ie just like in the Elle-picture!). We'll see.

In case you haven't seen it, here's my dress again:























The drape on the shoulder is an actual twist, which will be much easier to handle now that I've got an overlock-sewing machine to sew neat rolled hems (rather than to hand-sew a bias-strip all around the neck-opening...).

Speaking of magic, the world was covered in frost earlier this week, all of it! We happened to test lighting up a couple of big trees in a project right then, and it was pure magic. The trees sparkled with the light, almost like they came to life, even with very weak lamps. Of course, it said nothing about the reality, so we still don't know whether to choose 35 or 70w lamps, but it's ok. We'll just have to do it again, with less magic...


Now that was a fun day at work, but my toes were happy to get home afterwards (and jump into thick, warm wool-socks)!

3 comments:

  1. Oh nice links!

    What about a material that's kinda silky, kinda stiff, but had a few different shades to it? Like a solid green that in one light looked darker and another looked lighter (is that called a grain or something?) so that in the twist it would look really textured!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think I know what you mean, I think it's when they've used one colour for the warp and another for the weft so that the material kind of has two colours at the same time... great idea! It might work really well for that kind of pattern. I'll have to test it in the fabric-shop :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Gasp!) I LOVE this! I would love to try my hand at it... thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails