Sunday 20 December 2009

Wishlist

Dear Santa, this is what I want for christmas:

1. Drape Drape. Japanese book about draping, with paper patterns included. Apparently not the easiest book to use if you don't read Japanese, and although I do I must say I don't read enough to be able to read books (maybe very simple childrens books, if I have a dictionary at hand...), but it still looks interesting enough. And I like to give the old brain (I watched Jamie Oliver the other day, his language is contageous!) a good workout once in a while.



I love the dress on the right hand side, especially the version in black. Read more about the dress here.

2. Vionnet. Another Japanese book about draping clothes... but still entirely different from Drape Drape. Madeleine Vionnet was a French fashion designer who was big in the 1920's and 1930's. She designed loads of sophisticated evening dresses, often cut on the bias, that she constructed by draping directly on the dress form. According to Wikipedia, she's been called the "Queen of the bias cut" and "the architect among dressmakers".

















Obviously, I need to learn more about her! This book is a collection of reproductions of her patterns,

According to Fashion Incubator (one of my favourite sites by the way) it's better and easier to use than a previous similar book in english, since the instructions are so clear (or should I say so Japanese! Thank God for Manga). Read the review here.

3. A Baby Lock Evolve Wave-overlock (serger). I need an overlock-machine, and after having reserched them there is no option but to get the Baby Lock Evolve. I tried it in the shop yesterday, and I'm hooked. Not sure it will be in Santa's budget though (actually I'm quite sure I'll have to be my own santa with all three things on my wish-list).


They've even put it in front of a christmas:ey midnight-blue background... (just to tease me, I promise!).


I've finally finished my twisted dress! I hope to photograph it this afternoon. Now I must try to do some christmas shopping (not for me!).

10 comments:

  1. I just checked out the Fahion Incubator. It's really a good site. Thanks for mentioning it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to track the Japanese Vionnet book down. Thank you for posting about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your opinion on the serger. I find it impossible to find any good information on them to compare. (probably because I'm a novice and I don't know what to look for.)

    I can't find pricing information anywhere for the babylock sergers. How much is the Evolve?

    btw... I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie & Jo: Glad if I could help you find new favourites ;-)!

    Ms. Smith: Thank you :-). Hm, I'm a total beginner on sergers/overlock-machines too, but since I realised I NEED one I've been reading a lot of reviews and forums about them and it seems like many of them are quite difficult to handle, but that if you learn how to they are great. I want one that has a coverstitch option as well the overlock, which narrows the selection down quite a lot. Most of the combined machines require quite a rebuilding-operation to use the coverstitch, not to my liking, and the only brand that lets you finish the coverstitch-seam outside the fabric without running a risk to damage the machine is Baby Lock... Overlocks are also known to often be tricky to thread, and you often need to run records of your seam-settings for different materials. After learning that I've shifted from intending to buy a reasonable, used one to getting a new one, and the most expensive one for home-sewing that I've seen around. Gaaah. It's about twice as much as the others. About eight times more than the cheapest ones.
    Why I want this the Baby Lock Evolve: To switch between overlock and coverstitch you only have to turn a couple of handles and move the needle and that's it. You don't thread it, there's an automatic vaacum-fed-system that does it for you. You can sew the coverstitch-seam outside of the fabric without damaging the machine. It automatically changes the settings so you can actually just sew on even if you move from chiffong to denim (you may need to change to another seam to perfect it, I'm not sure it works with ALL settings). It's really easy to adjust the width of the seam/the position of the knife (you just turn a little wheel). It's like everything about it is easier to perform/handle than with other machines. And it's partially hand made in Japan... After spending 9 months in Tokyo, when I became more and more impressed with the high level of quality-awareness and craftmanship in Japan, that makes me convinced that this is a good machine, that it will most likely last for a long time and not be all show and no endurance. And I haven't seen ANY used ones on the market, that must mean that people who buy them like them enough to want to keep them.
    But, like I said, it's not cheap. I got a tip in the shop where I intend to buy it that the Pfaff Coverlock 3.0 is a really really good machine too, that they actually recommend them almost as much as the Baby-lock Evolve. And it's less than half the price. But you need to thread it manually, and you need to set the tension yourself. And it's quite a bit bigger than the Baby Lock. But I'm sure it's a great option.
    I don't write any prices since I live in Sweden where the price-situation is quite a lot different than in both the UK and the US, so google it, I think I found pricing-info in $ when I researched it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeez louise, EIGHT serger cones?!!? That seems insane to me. I wonder if it's set up that way so that 4 get used for coverlock and 4 for edging.

    Thanks for all your notes about the purchasing decision, it was very interesting. I've got a secondhand serger that I'd like to replace, so your notes are invaluable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, drape drape is in my wish list also! that book just seems worth the purchase.

    vivatveritas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. scormeny: heeeh... I agree! It's insane! They're actually there to be used all eight at the same time...but I intend to buy five only to begin with. The eight-thread-seam is really wide, like the ones in the leg-sams of VERY sturdy jeans. I have no plans to make jeans (but you never know!).

    vivatveritas: yes, doesn't it! I instantly fell in love with some of the projects in Drape Drape, and I think it might be a good way to learn a bit about draping (I'm a novice in that department). I wonder if I may order it for myself before christmas or if I must wait... hm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is really very nice dressing for the special days. You have prepared well too. Thanks for sharing us...

    r4i칩

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your dress! It's simple but in no way boring... one of those dresses that just looks great but not like you are trying way too hard. And I love that you paired it with a red belt. A serger is definitely on my list of Christmas wants, though my mother may be sending me the one she has that she never uses. She is more of a quilter now and has never even opened the box. So it's all mine! Hopefully! haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just saw a vintage pattern on ebay that incorporates the twisted neckline....check it out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Viewitem&item=310190956132&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

    Hope you had a lovely holiday!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails