Sunday 8 November 2009

Treasures: a box full of buttons


This box is one of my oldest treasures. I loved it the moment I saw it, and even more when I opened it (...it's full of mother of pearl-buttons with a few sparkly rhinestone-buttons scattered like diamonds among them) and that was long ago enough to not remember if I bought it or if my mum bought it and gave it to me. I must ask her.

The other day I was looking through my drawers and boxes, I had a little inventory of my stash, and found it. And realised that it must be from the 1930's, I'm such a sucker for 1930's art, architecture (I live in a house built in 1932, it's a functionalist building...) and design, and apparently I have been since I was a little kid. I had never thought of when this box may be from, i've just considered it old and pretty.

Some things grip you, get a hold of you and change the way you look at other things, and for me, I think this box was one of them. Simple as it is. I think it made me more interested in both crafts and design, and that my love for things that look old and real has something to do with the... realness of the metal box and its contents. Quality.

I love Norway too. Not sure it has to do with the fact that Glott's Mild Mixture was from Oslo though...!

2 comments:

  1. I love things like this. They remind me that I don't need to go shopping to find things I love, just dig through my boxes. I always find something old that makes me a million times happier than something new and shiny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, isn't it great!
    I also like that re-fashioning has become a trend, it inspires me to do the same thing with my closet... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails