Sunday 29 November 2009

Mc Call 6520, vintage blouse (1946)


I thought I'd sew something quick and easy. This looks quite simple, doesn't it? Well... it was easy enough, but there are eight darts around the waist, and the necktie took some figuring out (although this was one of the apparently rare vintage patterns with good, illustrated instructions). So it took me a week (sewing jersey has spoilt me!).

These are all the pattern-pieces laid out on the material. I never use the pattern layout instruction, it's a puzzle, it's part of the fun! Plus, it's usually possible to save material by laying them out differently to the suggested way (maybe because I always use one of the smallest sizes).

I actually made it without copying the pattern first, which for me feels like cheating. But it was in good condition, so I decided it was ok.






















I think it really resembles the picture on the envelope! Although it shouldn't, this pattern (I remebered after cutting the material and sewing all the basic seams) is made for a 30" bust, I'm a 32,5"... I don't get it. It should be too small, and I actually think it's a bit too big! That's normal with modern patterns, but I thought they added a bit less ease before.

Note to self: always, always measure the pattern-pieces before sewing. And make plenty of toiles... (I didn't this time, I SO glad it fit me!).


The front is pleated beneath the yoke, and I've finally understood why you sew two parallell lines of gathering-thread... one should be on either side of the actual seam... you can tell that I put both in the seam-allowance, it looks more creased than gathered. I'll do better next time (I love to learn new things)!
You can also, kind of, see the shoulder pads (a first for me!). I think maybe they should be placed further out on the shoulder, I might try that. They had quite strong shoulders in the 1940's...
 
I like the cuffs... with vintage buttons from my stash.
And I like the material, a pure cotton remnant. I've bought 10 meters of it, so you'll be sure see more blue creations here in the future!

23 comments:

  1. This is just lovely! I can't imagine attempting something with so many details. You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this - so pretty! It can be tough to pull off true vintage without looking costumey, but your blouse is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning. What a great job and a very hip vintage pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Great details, true vintage, but very wearable. I just don't see those 8 darts... but I guess they're at the wait and well sewn and pressed. I'm seriously contemplating a copy-cat-blouse....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowsers, it's beautiful in detail. What are toiles though?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all! Now I must be brave enough to wear it in public (I'm a bit shy of ruffles and bows, even though I love them on others!). I think with all your encouragement I will be!
    Lauriana: The darts all around the waist, 2 by 2, and yup, they are well pressed (the material is a dream, it doesn't wrinkle and is still very easy to iron, I love it).
    Veronica Darling: A toile is a very simple test-version of the garment, to check the fit before cutting the "real" material. A very handy help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks wonderful! Very much so like the pattern illustration, and it suits you so well - nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally in love! I have a bunch of vintage patterns calling to me to be created. Now to find the time:) Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw this on burdastyle it great, I really love the bow at the neck and am mentally calculating how I could remove the collar from a 1940s pattern I have to do it myself. Lovely fabric choice as well the colour really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful blouse! I love the buttons on the cuffs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I love all the unique details!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! I have recently acquired a very similar vintage McCalls blouse pattern (c1950) but lacking the adorable cuffs. Good to know that it ran so big, but I really like the way the volume works with yours. I look forward to seeing more of what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely love your blog and your blouse :-) I also just started sewing with vintage patterns and LOVE it (www.fashionsfromthepast.blogspot.com). Can't wait to see your dresses!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a fantastic blouse! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's beautiful! I keep collecting vintage patterns but have yet to sew any. This a great, versatile style!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This cuffs are marvelous! Thank you for sharing it:)!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have this pattern, and am inspired to make it seeing how nice it came out for you. I love your pants though, and am wondering if you made them, or bought. Can you tell me the pattern or brand/style they are?...Thanks, appreceiate it, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Susie: I bought the pants... I love them too! I've almost worn them to pieces now, I'm considering cutting them up and making a pattern from them. Not brave enough and too stressed about other things at the moment though (I can never seem to find the time to sew, I miss it!).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Susie again: they're by Swedish brand Whyred, and are a sample pair, but I think they did sell very similar pants in the shops.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow IT turned out amazing - the big bow is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails